Janesville Gazette on Sunday published this ridiculous op-ed beginning "If you're tired of skyrocketing health care costs, you'll agree that Wisconsin must do something to rein in potentially damaging medical malpractice risks." What?
Janesville Gazette needs to do research. If it did, it would see that:
- In each of the last 2 years, patients only won 4 jury verdicts against Wisconsin doctors.
- In 10 years, Wisconsin juries awarded more than the cap in only 9 cases.
- The Injured Patients & Families Compensation Fund that pays malpractice claims has grown from $336 million in 1995 to $741 million in 2004.
- From 1995-2005, Wisconsin doctors, like OB-GYNs and neurosurgeons, saw malpractice premiums reduced 71%.
- Despite the plunge in malpractice costs (the lowest in the U.S.), Wisconsin still has some of the highest healthcare costs and the 2nd highest health insurance premiums in the U.S.
Janesville Gazette has some explaining to do.
Wisconsin Personal Injury Lawyer