Being a personal injury lawyer, I see a lot of horrible injuries and thus, as a father, I may be overly cautious with my children and their toys. But I would rather be safe then sorry and thus, here are a few tips to help you choose safe toys:
1) Select toys to suit the age and skills of the intended child.
2) For toddlers who mouth objects, avoid small parts.
3) Look for sturdy construction.
4) For children under age 8, avoid sharp edges and points.
5) Be a label reader. Look for age recommendations.
6) Check instructions for clarity.
7) Discard plastic wrappings, which can cause suffocation.