- Check out the seller.
- Read return policies carefully.
- Know what you’re getting. Read the product description closely.
- Don’t fall for a false email or pop-up. Legitimate companies don’t send unsolicited email messages asking for your password or login name, or your financial information.
- Look for signs a site is safe. When you’re asked to provide payment information, the beginning of the website’s URL address should change from http to shttp or https, indicating that the purchase is encrypted or secured.
- Secure your computer. At a minimum, your computer should have anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and a firewall.
- Consider how you’ll pay. Credit cards generally are a safe option.
- Keep a paper trail.
- Turn your computer off when you’re finished shopping.
Holiday Shopping Online
Below are some tips for smart Christmas shopping on the Internet, but let me begin by stating: if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Now the tips: